Oh, this whole world keeps spinning 'round. It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down. There comes a time, comes a time.
Neil Young

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Eggs

We have started getting our first eggs of the year. This is Tomato. She is a special chicken, my dad's personal favorite. She is the heaviest chicken on the farm. That might have to do with the lots of extra corn she gets when she's visiting in the garage. 
 She layed the first chicken egg of the year two days ago.
 It was very pretty.
We put a fake, plastic egg in the box to encourage them to lay.
 It has a hole in the bottom, but don't tell them.

Linking to Project Alicia for Wordful Wednesday.
Linking to Camera Critters.
Linking to Friday's Photo.

7 comments:

edenhills said...

So glad you've gotten an egg. My girls are really starting to produce a lot more. (I like the picture you added of yourself.)

Heidi said...

That's exciting news. great job Tomato. I look forward to many more egg stories and I really like your idea to lure the ladies into laying. Thanks for sharing.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Nice news.
Bravo Tomato!

Regards and best wishes

Genie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genie said...

Tayete....Hi...I am Mrs. R. I taught 6th grade English for years and years. Now I am retired but missed the children so much I returned to my school as their in-school suspension teacher. I am so proud of you for the writing you are doing with your blogs and your wonderful creativity. Writing was the one area where I found my home schooled children to be weak when they entered public school at the middle school level, but they caught on quickly and became some of my finest students. I am a true believer in home schooling. I wish you lived closer so I could give you a big hug. When the children were here we, too, had goats - Rosebud and Sagebrush - and lots of chickens that all had the same name...Henrietta. I miss them, but there are lots of you goat and chicken lovers who post photos on the internet to fill that void. Your photos are wonderful as are your words. Now, I need to go and check out your other blogs. Hugs, genie...aka Mrs. R

Bessie M. said...

Oh, I just love chickens! They are the next animal my husband and I are planning to add to our little farm.

Much luck an many more lovely eggs to you!

CrankyPuppy said...

Love the plastic egg idea. And I giggled about naming a chicken "Tomato". So funny and unexpected. Is there a story behind that?

Our girls are just turning a year old and have started to molt. If you want to be mooned by a chicken with a bare behind (and who doesn't??!!), I'd love to have you swing by and check out my blog. Don't forget to say hi if you do.